Diploma by Extension Studies (DES)
is one of the programs offered at DAILCE. I was introduced in January, 2014 in response to the Ministry of Education’s appeal for increased training for secondary teachers in order to meet the projected shortfall. DALICE introduced a self-sustaining Diploma by Extension Studies teachers training program targeting school leavers who are currently left out of its existing training programs due to limited boarding spaces and the current admission to teacher training is also limited to government funding.
1. To provide access to school leavers who qualify to pre-service teacher training and desire to become secondary school teachers
2. To increase the output of quality secondary school teachers in order to meet the ever increasing demand for trained teachers, as this is the only college offering Ministry of Education approved programs at diploma level in as association with the Examination Council of Zambia.
3. To plough back to the local community in whose premises the institution is located by providing affordable access to quality teacher training program
The program targets Grade 12 school leavers who will meet the admission criteria and are able to sponsor themselves.
To be admitted to the program, an applicant is required to have fulfilled the following conditions;
1. He/she must have obtained 5 ‘O’ levels including English Language.
2. Of the 5 ‘O’ levels at least 2 must be merits or better in teaching subject(s).
Since this is not full time program in which students will have a maximum of 4 hours of study time per day, the program duration will be three and half years.
Mode of Delivery
· The program is delivered through Part-time study as a parallel program with the existing college administrative structures and organization.
· Four contact hours per day from 13:00 hours to 17:00 hours, Four day a week which totals to 16 hours per week for term one and three of every year.
· Term two of every year to be full time with an option of being in boarding as there is space and time
· Students are required to participate in classroom activities in local schools in year two and three. School attachment will be followed by school attachment reports and two – three weeks of supervised peer teaching in subject areas.\
To pursue the secondary teachers diploma program an applicant is required to study the following categories of subjects:
(a) Compulsory Subjects: Theory and Practice of Education, History and Philosophy of Education, Sociology of Education, Educational Psychology and ICT for Classroom Practices with permissible combination of any 2 of the following from the table on the right.
2017 SUBJECT COMBINATIONS
|MATHS & P.E||PE & CIVIC ED|
|MATHS & R.E||P.E & GEOG|
|MATHS & ZAM-LANG||P.E & HISTORY|
|MATHS & GEOG||R.E & CIVC ED|
|MATHS & CIVIC ED||R.E & GEOG|
|MATHS & HISTORY||R.E & HISTORY|
|ENGLISH & R.E||ZAM-LANG & GEOG|
|ENGLISH & ZAM-LANG||ZAM-LANG & CIVIC ED|
|ENGLISH & P.E||ZAM-LANG & HISTORY|
|ENGLISH & CIVIC ED||AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE|
|ENGLISH & GEOG||BUSINESS STUDIES|
|ENGLISH & HISTORY||FRENCH & P.E|
|FRENCH & ENGLISH||FRENCH & CIVIC ED|
|FRENCH & R.E||EARLY CHILDHOOD|